Sunday, April 01, 2007

April fool?

Right. Been a bit lax lately with the whole updating thing. But I have been reading! Sadly, I can't remember everything that I've been reading, except the past two books I've just finished. Oh, three.
Cry Havoc! The Crooked War to Civil War, 1861 by Nelson Lankford. It wasn't bad. But really, there aren't many history books I feel are fabulous. It has lots of interesting information, but the writing was a bit dry and the one bit of the book I really remember is Lankford writing something to the effect of: It's interesting to consider the different ways this situation could have gone. Yes, we understand that. D'you really need to keep repeating? I don't know. I find it difficult to find history books I really enjoy reading.
The Fourth Bear by Jasper Fforde. Second in the Nursery Crime Series. Good. Prefer the Thursday Next series (new one coming out in July! Woohoo!). Funny and touching and Jack's an excellent character. As is Mary. All around, Fforde's always enjoyable.
Equal Rites by Terry Pratchett. Fantastic, though towards the end I was trying to read with the tv on and that didn't work so well. Will probably pick up more by Pratchett (after I finish Fragile Things by Neil Gaiman, which I've really just begun, and Pretties by Scott Westerfeld, and maybe Artemis Fowl: The Lost Colony, which I haven't gotten round to yet, and an Austen continuation, but I might read that while I'm on vacation so I can get my yearly dose of P&P or maybe Persuasion; I'm undecided. I do have some more Pratchett suggestions, which I'm sure I'll read ... eventually). I like Pratchett--there have been moments in every one of his books that I laugh out loud. Clever as well.
I'm a late bloomer. I'm going through my sci-fi/fantasy reading phase now. But you're never too late to cultivate your nerdiness, right?
As for work, I love storytime. And I'm looking forward to some of the programs we're doing this summer at the library; I've written a couple mysteries for the kids--one is the kids as the detectives, the other is a participatory mystery party where they get to be characters. I *hope* that one will go well (it's for the teens--who knows how into they'll be). Other excitement includes a video game tournament I get to run that's coming up this month. I'm super excited.
Hopefully I'll post more frequently. I'll try. Until the next, read well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home