Monday, December 04, 2006

On to a new book.

Finally finished Love and Louis XIV (remarkably there was a library snow day on Friday--the weather was so awful the library was closed!) and I must say, it was interesting. There wasn't a great deal about Louis; one got impressions of his character but not an overwhelming image of him. I suppose that was the intention of the book, to look at Louis from the view of his personal life and through the women influential in his life. It was bad, and was definitely better than a military history (those always make me crazy. I can never keep anything straight).
I still don't know much about French history, but it was interesting in perspective of a personal history. The bottom line, as I ramblingly come to it, is that I enjoyed it.
I am very early into The Trial of Queen Caroline which thus far is interesting. I'm still at the basic background information on her and the early years of marriage and separation. I'm just about to start the chapter titled "Regency." I think I'll like this one. Scandal!
I'm collecting more titles to read for a booktalk I have to give to advanced reading 4th graders in January. Which means it'll be awhile before I get to the new Michael Crichton, Next, which makes me sad. I may just read it regardless of library book statuses. Because it is Crichton. I've found that his latest novels are very enjoyable and readable. He's formulaic in the very broadest of senses and there's always something new and sometimes a little frightening in his stories. I can't wait!
That's all for today. Once I finish the book on Caroline, I'll let you know. Happy reading.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home