Friday, November 03, 2006

Finished a book

I finished a book this morning, The Anybodies by N.E. Bode. (Ha, clever pseudonym.) It was actually quite enjoyable. The third one in the series was recently published, and one of the reviews said the writing style was similar to Lemony Snicket. Which it is, only more upbeat.
The book is pretty good. Enjoyable, funny, a few hartwarming moments that don't feel forced, and moments of author interruption. Which is great.
I felt compelled to share this sentence with whatever readers I may or may not have, simply because it's funny and gives great images:
"Now I'm no psychologist who's going to sort through the Miser's [the "bad" guy] mental closet and try to rehang his pants so the pleats stay creased, but maybe he was afraid of more rejection." (Pages 262-3)
I like that the author gets off on these somewhat non-related tangents and talks about mental closets and pleated pants. There was also discussion of his abhorrence for talking animals, and it reminded me of a few children's librarians I know who don't like stories with talking animals. Which can be kind of difficult to avoid if you're a children's librarian. Nonetheless.
It's entertaining. Give it a read if you've got a chance.
Or give it a chance if you've got to read.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home