Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Productive!

Finished Deep and Meaningful Diaries, Stardust by Neil Gaiman, The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick, and 300 by Frank Miller and Lynn Varley.
Enjoyed Janet. As I said before, I always like diary format books. Also forgot to mention Twenty Something: The Quarter Life Crisis of Jack Lancaster by Iain Hollingshead. Bridget Jones's Diary for men. Got me through my momentary fall into a crisis. Feeling better now.
Stardust I picked up primarily because they're making a movie of it, and I like to read books first. I liked it. Some fantasy, some action, some romance; it was good. The more I read by Neil Gaiman, the more I like him. I shoud really pick up some of his graphic novels.
The Invention of Hugo Cabret I read in a day. Seriously. It's a 538 page book, but it's got an innovative style to it--there are a number of (beautiful) illustrations that continue the story when the text breaks. It's a neat idea, and I'd like to say I want to see more of it, but fear it won't have as wonderful an effect. The story itself feels slim for the size of the volume, but definitely worth a couple of hours. (My father read it in about an hour and a half.)
300 was pretty cool. I'm not widely read in graphic novels so there's really not a whole lot I can say intelligibly.
Currently paying my respects to Vonnegut by reading Bluebeard (the last of the Vonnegut books I own that I haven't read; guess it's time to troll used book stores for some more). He truly is fantastic. Makes you think about society in one paragraph, makes you laugh in the next.
Had my six month review (four months late ...) and it went well. Many positive things said. Made me feel as if I belonged, I suppose. Not that I ever really felt that I didn't belong, but that it was official, I guess.
Will update after the next batch o' books.
On a movie slant--Hot Fuzz is funny and Simon Pegg rocks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home