Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Post Script!

How could I possible forget to mention Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull?
Easy. Let me share with you one word, which makes it easy to forget: Aliens.
The film is entertaining and a good ride, as all the Indy movies are, but I was slightly disappointed, despite a good point my mother made. I mean seriously, aliens? But as my mom said, 1957 was a time of science fiction and the budding space race and Roswell occurred 10 years prior, so yeah, aliens aren't that far of a stretch, but it seems so un-Indy. This argument of mine was countered with, "What about the ghosts in Raiders of the Lost Ark? Or the guy getting his heard pulled out through his chest in Temple of Doom? Or the Crusades knight guarding the Grail in Last Crusade?" I give, I give. Aliens are no less Indy territory than any of the previous ... stuff. Shia LaBeouf is funny as Mutt Williams, and there is far too little of Karen Allen. Marcus Brody has sadly died, and--disappointments of disappointments--so has Dr. Henry Jones the First. (Sean Connery, how could not show up for 3 minutes of screen time! That's all I ask! Judi Dench won an Oscar for 8 minutes of screen time in Shakespeare in Love! Not that you would have won an Oscar for this film, but still.)
Bottom line: Entertaining fun if you do not have exceptionally high hopes for film and can sit back and take in the double crosses, the Russians, the Greasers & the college kids, the chase scenes, the mystery, the puzzles, and yes, the aliens.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home