Wednesday, July 16, 2008

3 of 6

In my slow going goal this year of reading all 6 Austen novels, I've just reached my half way point. I finished Sense and Sensibility over the weekend and I'm amazed at how fast it went. For some reason the first couple times I tried to read it, I simply could not get through it. I didn't eventually read it all the way through once and was fairly determined not to read it again. But if I'm going to read them, I've got to read all of them. Something about this book has risen in my estimation, or for some reason I have more patience with it than I have had previously. I like the story, particularly Elinor and the situation she finds herself in, and it was less painful than anticipated. There are parts in the book that are not in the movie version Emma Thompson was in, and it was nice to have those tiny fresh reminders that movies indeed are definitely not the books. Elinor forgave Willoughby awfully easily in my mind; I do not forgive easily when it comes to people hurting my family or my close friends. Elinor is supposed to pity him because he has no money or was too spendy with it in the past? He put himself in this whole. Granted, he won't be happy in his marriage, but as Marianne reflects, if he had married her and had no money, he would not have necessarily been happy either. The Middletons and Mrs Jenkins are most certainly nosy and entertaining to read about (I certainly wouldn't want to spend a great deal of time in company with people continuously prying into my private life). I used to steer people away from Sense and Sensibility because I had such a difficult time reading it, but I think that perhaps I will amend my status on this Austen novel.
The remaining three I have to read are: Mansfield Park, Persuasion, and Pride and Prejudice. I have read each of these at least twice before (P&P I've read every year since 1998) and am only debating on which novel I should end. Persuasion is slowly becoming quite a favorite with me; is it possibly it could overtake P&P? I am not yet certain. Though there is something about Anne Elliott I identify with perhaps more than Elizabeth Bennet. Friends have placed me as a Jane Bennet in regards to the Bennet sisters, and I see that as accurate. But Anne--! I identify with Anne, especially as I am someone who holds on to affection even when it appears there's no chance of it succeeding. As does Jane Bennet, come to think of it, and Elinor Dashwood to an extent. Picking up on a pattern?
Still waiting for Stop in the Name of Pants! In the meantime I've picked up a gigantically daunting history book, Sovereing Ladies: The Six Reigning Queens of England by Maureen Waller and while it is a subject I knew I would enjoy, I have to say that I am most impressed with the writing style. As much as I love history, I have a difficult time getting through history books they're usually written in such a dry, dull style (I am sorry to pain history writers, but in my limited experience it's true, and I usually dig my heels in and get through the books because the topics themselves are fascinating) but Waller tells a story and she tells it well. I'm getting through it at a surprising pace for myself and certainly am enjoying. Only on Queen Elizabeth I thus far. Waller brings up many good points about Mary I without absolving her of blame. Before I get too far however, I'll finish the book first.
Steeped in reading, I remain, your Savage Librarian.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home