Monday, April 11, 2011

Wives of the Kings of England: From Hanover to Windsor by Mark Hichens

Just from the title I knew this book was something I was going to like. I was a little more intrigued when I picked up the book on the library shelf: it's less than 200 pages.
Don't get me wrong, I love history, but admittedly, history writing can be rather ... dull. The Queen Mother led a fascinating life, but when I read William Shawcross's official biography (weighing in at more than 1000 pages), it took me more than a month to read. Enjoyable, definitely, but long.
Wives of the Kings of England suited me not only because its length, but because it provided brief snapshots of the nine women, so there was no way for me to be overwhelmed or bogged down by a great number of details. Though entire books could be (and have been) written about each individual woman, this glimpse provides a continuity from the woman dealing with her own parents, her husband, her husband's parents, and then herself as a parent.
I did not know very much about most of these women. I had read The Trial of Queen Caroline by Jane Robins, and The Queen Mother: The Official Biography by William Shawcross, but the rest of the wives (with the exception of the Duchess of Windsor) I was fairly clueless on. The long suffering Charlotte, married to George III, lead an interesting life. Queen Alexandra and Queen Mary I found the most interesting, however, but that may be because that's the time period I find most fascinating. Can you imagine having Queen Victoria as a mother-in-law? I certainly cannot. And that Queen Mary is so very different from Queen Alexandra, in fact George V and Edward VII were quite dissimilar. A fascinating, enjoyable read, well worth the time and energy to peruse the slim volume. Recommended for anglophiles like myself who are enthralled by the history of the royal family.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home