Monday, December 27, 2010

Persuasion by Jane Austen

Ah yes, it is nearing the end of the year and I have not read any Austen until now. This is actually the first year since 1998 I have not read Pride & Prejudice. I'm actually ok with that.
Persuasion is becoming my favorite Austen novel. There's something about Anne that draws me and has continually done so; more now that I'm older. In Pride & Prejudice I liked the feistyness of the Elizabeth-Darcy relationship, and have been compared to having a Jane-Bingley relationship, but the Anne-Wentworth relationship comforts me the most. The fact that Anne still loves him after all those years, that he stayed faithful to her (though not intentionally) over all those years, that upon seeing her again, some of her beauty returned and her confidence. Oh! It's a very sweet story. It's very calm and quiet too, which is part of why I like it so much.
I really don't know what else to say about a book I've read so many times. Other than I love it, and there's something comforting about returning to characters one knows so well.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home