Friday, August 06, 2010

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

So I'm probably one of the last people to read this book, but better late to it than never. Clary Fray lives with her mom in New York City; her father died before she was born. Being almost 16, Clary and her friend Simon go out to a club one night and Clary gets caught in the midst of a very strange interaction--four people her age go off into a storage room of the club and three kill the fourth one. Clary is surprised by this but even more surprised when the dead one disappears!

It turns out Clary has met Shadowhunters--warriors whose purpose it is to rid the earth of demons. And the fourth person? That was a demon. Clary gets sucked further and further into this world as first her mother goes missing, her mother's oldest friend refuses to talk to or help Clary, and she finds out stuff about her past that Clary never could have imagined would be true.

There's fantastic action in the book, there's battles with demons and vampires and werewolves and creatures who were once human and a lot of leg work trying to figure out if one of the most dangerous Shadowhunters is indeed still alive and if he is, where he is. Clary becomes torn between the thrilling world of the Shadowhunters and the life she's always known, including her best friend and "mundane", Simon.

I really enjoyed the different relationships portrayed in the book amongst the teenage characters, I felt that was pretty accurate. It was nice to see some presence of adults in the book, though I would have liked to see more with Clary's mom (though I understand her missing mom is pretty key to the plot; I just hope there's more of her mom in the next couple of books). I'd also like to see more of Alec and Isabelle, and see Clary come into her own and become more confident. It was really those last 50 pages that got me hooked. Now I have to wait for one of the library copies to be checked in again so I can read City of Ashes.

There are surprises in every chapter and the reader is usually just a tiny bit ahead of Clary--but not very much. The book really picked up in the last 50 pages and that was the point that I couldn't put the book down and am very pleased to know there are two more books after this one. I was thinking as I read most of the book that I wouldn't be interested in finding out what happens in City of Ashes and City of Glass, but the last few chapters (the last part of the book, I think) really brought me into the world and I'm looking forward to finding out what happens next.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home